PERSBERICHT Amsterdam – The PICNIC Green Challenge preliminary jury has chosen four finalists. The nominees were selected from among 235 entrants, all of whom sent in detailed plans for inventions that would combat climate change. One finalist is from Switzerland; the other three are from the United States. The PICNIC Green Challenge is the international creative competition of the Dutch Postcode Lottery and the cross-media event PICNIC.
Four bright ideas that can make a difference
Jochen Mundinger of Switzerland has developed a software tool for travelling in an eco-friendly, efficient way, door to door. Capra J’neva Devi of the United States has invented easy-to-use consumer solar panels. Eben Bayer and Gavin McIntyre, an inventor team from the United States, offer sustainable ecological alternatives to conventional synthetic building materials. And another duo, Peter Yeadon and Martina Decker of the United States, has created an intelligent shading system for windows and glass facades.
The inventors will present their ideas to the final jury in the Deciding Round on the morning of Thursday 25 September. At the Award Ceremony that evening, the jury will announce the winner and award the € 500,000 prize, made available by the Dutch Postcode Lottery. The finals will take place during PICNIC’08 at the Westergasfabriek in Amsterdam.
During the selection period, the preliminary jury divided the entries into five categories: energy, design/cradle to cradle, IT, mobility and lifestyle. This allowed for a better overview of the large number of entries, making comparison easier.
“It was a difficult job choosing the finalists,” says Femke Rotteveel, coordinator of applications for the Dutch Postcode Lottery and chairman of the preliminary jury. “The quality of the entries is high. We looked in detail at the contribution each entry could make to sustainability, as well as at feasibility. It has to be more than just a great plan on paper. The PICNIC Green Challenge’s objective is for the winner to bring his or her product or service to market within two years.”
About the PICNIC Green Challenge 2008
The PICNIC Green Challenge 2008 called on creative, innovative minds to come up with concrete solutions to fight climate change. Anyone with a good idea for a product or service that reduces greenhouse gas emissions in a consumer-friendly way and contributes to a sustainable lifestyle was welcome to take part.
* Femke Rotteveel, Chairman (Applications Coordinator, Dutch Postcode Lottery)
* Emily Farnworth (Director Corporate Engagement, The Climate Group),
* Bruno Giussani (writer, commentator, entrepreneur)
* Joris Krüse (Executive Creative Director, Media Republic)
* Jeffrey Prins (Programme Manager for Sustainable Development, DOEN Foundation)
* Jan Paul van Soest (Sustainability Strategy Consultant)
* Marleen Stikker (co-founder, PICNIC)
* Bill Moggridge (industrial designer; co-founder, IDEO)
* Prince Carlos Bourbon de Parme (involved with several projects combining sustainability and business)
* Nicky Gavron (Member, London Assembly)
* Liesbeth van Tongeren (Executive Director, Greenpeace Netherlands)
* Jim Walker (Chief Operating Officer and co-founder, The Climate Group)